Part of the problem with finishing the ABC project I started awhile ago is every time I’d start to think about working on it again, I couldn’t remember what words / letters I’d originally planned on doing. So, in order to try and keep myself motivated, here’s the remainder of the list:
After quite a bit of tweaking the CSS and hacking together this template from another one, I finally have my blog up and running. I’d never even bothered playing with tumblr until the other night and I have to say I’m impressed.
One of the big issues for me is that I use indexhibit to show my work and wanted whatever I setup to either be a part of indexhibit or at the very least LOOK like it was.
Despite all its awesomeness, one of the things indexhibit lacks is a decent blog feature. In the past I’d sort of cobbled a basic one together as a huge text file and it was garbage. So when I went looking for a way to setup a blog I was a little skeptical that anything would really suit my purposes. I quickly realized how awesome tumblr was.
Not only was it quick and easy to setup and get going, I was able to very easily do some more advanced features like setting up a cname record to make it show my domain as if it were a subdomain on my indexhibit site. After doing some CSS and HTML hacking of a simple tumblr template and my indexhibit theme, I was even able to get it to look exactly like it’s part of my site.
The last issue was how to get a link to the blog to show up in indexhibit. Since all of indexhibit’s menus are generated dynamically and automatically generage pages for them, the only way I would’ve been able to get the blog to show up on the site would be an iFrame… and we all know how much iFrames suck. That’s where jQuery comes in. Using a surprisngly simple .append I was able to give the first menu an ID and insert my link at the bottom of the menu.
So after about 5-6 8-10 hours of tinkering and playing, I’ve got a blog that integrates perfectly with my portfolio. I couldn’t be happier.
NOTE: After this was written I tackled integrating a commenting system. So after another 2-3 hours of playing with disqus, I finally got those working.